Sunday 18 November 2012

Just Do It!

"I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done."

You might have got the idea what I'm going to write about in this article by the very first line written above. I'm not going to write a big lengthy essay on why we should be doing things fearlessly and why we should do more and regret less. All of us have gone through this feeling a million times, when we lay down in the night and wonder how our life would have been if we had the courage to do the things which we didn't do because of many "excuses". And no, I'm not going to talk about the YOLO bullshit, because I believe that all of us are smart enough to not drive a car at 120 mph with our eyes closed and say You Only Live Once, lets do something crazy! What's more important is focusing on more important aspects of life and doing them fearlessly.

After feeling this regret a dozen times, I finally came up with a simple logic which I every time use to convince myself whenever I have to stretch myself beyond my limit and go an extra mile, be it physically or mentally.
It works most of the time for me, so I wanted to share it with you also. Here it is:


Whenever you get an opportunity to do something which you have always wanted to do, but somehow you have been holding yourself back by some kind of fear or silly excuse, just close your eyes and ask yourself, "How bad am I going to feel later if I don't accept this challenge, cursing myself that ahhhh.. why didn't I do it?" When you have convinced yourself that not taking the challenge is bad for your future feelings, reinforce your will by asking yourself, "How good am I going to feel after all of this gets over and I've put in best of myself, whatever the result might have come?"

Be logical about your answers and don't let your fears and excuses weigh down your will.

A very simple example that I can give, where this works for me quite well is, going to a gym! All of us know that working-out is kind of a painful and boring task to do (I'm not taking the fitness freaks into consideration!), but whenever I have to buck up myself, I just say to myself, "Do it now dude!, it's going to make you feel better and more confident later." and Bam! I get the energy to do it.(at least at that moment of time!)

Same concept goes for stretching yourself beyond your mental limits and fears also. Public speaking, one of the most common fear we face, can be overcome by reasoning yourself that, "Just do it! When you are done with it, you are going to feel good and more confident about yourself."

I hope my little trick works for you as well.

Live fearless as it is very well said,

"Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it."


No comments:

Post a Comment